I’m adding a new weekly feature to my blog: link roundups! I’m most active on Twitter, where I share a lot of articles and threads, but I thought I’d repost most of them here as well. 😀
- Wiscon has updated their Writers’ Workshop page; deadline for applications is April 25.
- Rowan Hisayo shares an open call: Go Home!—an Asian & Asian-American Anthology of Prose and Poetry.
- Tor Books is looking for a digital marketing assistant.
- Mothership Zeta will be open for submissions from May 1–May 7.
- The SFWA Contracts Committee issues an alert on non-compete and option clauses in contracts.
- Title says all: “For Writers: How to Blog Without Really Trying But Still Managing Not to Be Half-Assed About It” by Cat Rambo. I’m starting this link roundup as a response to this post, actually!
- Delilah S. Dawson shares a Storify in “Pro Writers Speak Out: The Top 3 Things That Helped You Become a Writer (Besides Skill).” Resilience and stubbornness help a lot!
- Sigrid Ellis discusses handling publishing rejection and encourages people to keep writing and submitting.
- Elsa S. Henry answers some frequently asked questions in “So, You Wanna Write a Blind Character?“
- Rachel Swirsky discusses writing and mortality, as well as prioritizing writing vs. social life.
- Shira Glassman recommends “A Wide Variety of Jewish Fiction Not Set in 1940’s Europe.”
- Dear Art Director replies to the question, “How can I get the energy I need to work on my personal projects after a long and exhausting day at work?” I’ve been struggling with that question a lot, so this post was a very helpful reminder to me.
- Soumya Karlamangla reports “Doctors’ message to Asian Americans: Watch out for diabetes even if you’re young and thin.” Particularly striking to me was the note that guidelines for “eating healthy” often aren’t tailored for Asian diets—an issue that I’ve run into myself.
- Beth Maiden shares “Fool’s Journey: A Simple Tarot Spread for Focus.” I’ve been meaning to get back into tarot more as a means of guiding focus and helping with writing; this spread looks easy enough to try 😊
- N.K. Jemisin debunks a common fallacy in “Hello! You just used the ‘damned if you do/don’t’ fallacy!” This article is definitely going in my bookmarks for the next time I encounter that—and I encounter the DIYD fallacy far too often 😣
Twitter Threads and Conversations
- Valerie Valdes discusses finding themes in your writing.
- Alyssa Wong shares thoughts on being hapa and on being part of a diaspora. It’s a long, in-depth thread; be sure to click “show more” to see its entirety.
- Carmen Maria Machado responds to questions about slipstream, genre, and publishing.
Kickstarters and Fundraisers
- Two of my Clarion West classmates are running fundraisers: if you can, please help Lora Gray and Cae get to Seattle!
- Sunvault: Stories of Solarpunk & Eco-Speculation needs a little over $1,500 to reach its $5,000 goal. This anthology looks super interesting!
- WIP by Kelsey Beckett
- Gorgeous Rey fanart by Munrou Koumori
- Star Wars #21 cover by David Aja
- Beautiful black-and-white pieces by Nico Delort
- Fanart of Hermione and Luna by Bev Johnson